I decided recently that I'd like to repurpose my Free Bird sampler so that I can display it a little differently this year. So I removed it from its frame, dyed it in a black walnut brew (a coffee dye would work also), and set to making it into a walnut-shell-filled cushion. I'm very please with how it turned out!
Here's the front of it...
And here's the back...
Since I sewed it shut using very crude stitches on both the back seam and the side seams, it will be easy to take apart, press out, and re-frame it, should I ever wish to do so. But I think I like it just as it is! (Nevermind the goofed stitch in the very middle of the back seam.. I have no idea how I missed making the "x" part of the little stars I was stitching!)
By the way, here's how Free Bird originally looked, stitched on 36 ct. Vintage Basketweave by Lakeside Linens:
I hope you all are having a lovely weekend! I'm making cookout plans with Mom, and wondering how to break it to Mike that he won't be able to light his firecrackers this year. Maybe he'll be satisfied with a sparkler.